The story of our new baby.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

The birth of baby Joshua

At 9am they let me have a shower and we were given our birthing room (room 9). The rooms were quite nice and we had made some cd's to play, had the hot water bottle, magazines the works; we were ready for the long haul. We met the team of midwives who were to look after us and they were lovely, especially Molly. She was a training midwife and could not do enough for us. The Head midwife in charge completed a final internal examination which I might add killed, yep I was the one crying now, but after some gas and air managed to calm down a little. While she was examining me she was acting a little strange and asked to have the obstetrician come in and also do an examination. I was still on gas and air at this stage so did not hardly feel a thing.

The two ladies talked quietly for a minute and then told me the news. The reason the head had not engaged was that it was not actually the head, it was the bum! Yep, my baby to be had turned around. I was quickly prepped for surgery and what we thought was to be a normal birth was about to become and emergency Caesarian.

12 doctors, midwives, etc then pulled me in all different directions. I had an epidural and then from toe to boob my body was put to sleep. I could not see what was happening but could feel it. Rather a weird feeling and the obstetrician talked me through the whole thing. (Del could see) After about 20 minutes of pulling, our baby was held up for me to see. It was a boy! (a cheeky one as he urinated all over the obstetrician) A rather large one at that. The guesses were 10 pounds but after putting him on the scales he was a whopping 5.08kg or 11.4 pounds. It was finally over and I was exhausted. They cleaned him up a little and then I got to hold him. It was truly one of the most amazing experiences. I was in heaven, just could not believe it. He was so big yet the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. Of course I cried, but happy tears. After what had happened in the past 24hours, it was all worth it and now seemed liked a blur!

Del and I were just the happiest people around. I want to say a big thank you to all the team who helped and supported me through my experience. They were all fab and made me feel comfortable about my experience and also the biggest thank you to Del who is the most wonderful boyfriend anyone could ask for. He was truly amazing,loving and caring and I would not have gotten through things without him. I love you so much sweet heart.

Deb xo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home